- Is there any such career as a medical researcher?
- Do academics get paid for examining thesis?
- changing affiliation part of paper
- How can I avoid the requirement of using friends or acquaintances to complete coursework?
- Student dissatisfied with exam grade: what to watch out for?
- Replace all tabs with whitespaces
- How to plot normal distribution with mean 10 and standard deviation 2?
- Integration of Boole and Gaussians in high dimensions
- Bra's and Ket's - State superpositions, functional states?
- What are the Main stages when it comes to Cell signalling in controlling blood glucose?
- How much blood flows to female breasts?
- Size of Apatosaurus
- Do birds emit infra-red radiation?
- Brood Parasitism - Parasitism/Ammensalism/Commensalism?
- Why did James Mcavoy play cameo role of Prof. Xavier in Deadpool 2?
- What were all the eleven reasons Hannah had for not committing suicide?
- I want to watch some good movie
- Origen de la expresión “tirar los tejos”
- Impacts of industrialisation on the Victorian Era
When was Ravana hit by the Sudarshana Chakra?
[Note: To be clear, I am not asking why Ravana wouldn't be harmed or killed by the Sudarshana Chakra; that's obvious. I'm asking why and under what circumstances Vishnu launched the Sudarshana Chakra at Ravana.]
In the Sundara Kanda of the Valmiki Ramayana, Hanuman sneaks into Ravana's palace and sees Ravana sleeping. And in particular he sees Ravana' arms:
That Hanuman also saw the wealthy Ravana's arms tied with golden armlets thrown apart, resembling flag staffs raised in honor of Indra. Those arms had wounds made by stabbing from the pointed edges of tusks of Iraavata and fleshy shoulders smeared with diamond and hit by Vishnu chakra.
My question is, what is the story of Vishnu hitting Ravana with his Sudarshana Chakra (discus weapon)? This excerpt from the Uttara Kanda of the Ramayana describes how when Ravana was attacking Devaloka, Indra asked Vishnu for help in fighting Ravana. But Vishnu refused, saying that Ravana had a boon that he couldn't be kille
No answer can be found to above questions in Srimad Ramayana.
The answer lies elsewhere.
Till Mahabharata period, i.e, around 3102 B.C., the Gods from Vedic Pantheon were worshiped.
Lord Brahma is the Ruler of of all Worlds. - ब्रह्मा लोकाधिपो यथा (Srimad Ramayana, Bala Kanda). Indra's status was held next to him.
In Vedic Era, Vishnu was next to Indra and he is the younger brother of Indra.
The Vishnu Chakra was one among many weapons available to anybody, who performs austerities. In Bala Kanda, even Sage Viswamitra used Vishnu Chakra against Sage Vasistha.
धर्म चक्रम् काल चक्रम् विष्णु चक्रम् तथैव च |
वायव्यम् मथनम् चैव अस्त्रम् हय शिरः तथा ||
"And he launched discs called the Discs of Virtue, Time and Vishnu and he also launched other missiles like the Blower, Stirrer and like that the missile with Horse-head. "
The Who is Who of Kings of Mahabharata Era, except a few, fought and got eliminated in the Mahabharata war. After the Rule of Pandavas that lasted for2018-01-15 19:05:57
This is what I infer from the below story quoted from here. Since Ravana was defeated by Kartavirya Arjuna an Incarnation of Vishnu's Sudharshana Chakra, scars could be battle wounds inflicted by him. It is only my guess and I'm not certain about it.
Sage Narada was once visiting Vaikunta, the abode of Lord Vishnu. He
extolled the Lord in very colorful terms. Vishnu's major weapon was
the 'Chakra' (sharp-edged spinning wheel) known as 'Sudarshana
Chakra'. So far none could face it and come out of the attack
victorious. The Chakra had a deity associated with it and he used to
boast that all the powers the Lord had were due to him and He couldn't
kill the demons without his help. Narada's praising of Vishnu angered
him; he was sore that Narada had ignored his prowess.
Learning of this, Vishnu called him and said 'Dear Sudarshana, it is
true I defeated the Asuras with your help. Go to earth and be born a
thousand-armed hero; I will come and appear as the son o2018-01-15 19:17:24
The chakra mentioned in Sundara Kanda is not Sudarshana Chakra. So many other devatas and asuras were using chakra as a weapon. It is like any ordinary mace compared to kaumodaki.
As regards the other story of Sudarshana chakra was powerless infront of Raavana... Can't be true. And is Garuda ever scared of anything? He is THE MIGHTIEST of all.2018-01-15 19:19:48
The story in the article below might answer your question. I'm not able to find a citation for this story from the original text.
Once Ravan attacked vaikunth lok. Garuda, the chariot of Vishnu, ran away being terrified. Then Vishnu attacked Ravan with his Sudharshan Chakra. Ravan was so powerful that he made Sudharshan of Vishnu powerless.2018-01-15 19:29:02